english,

Literary: Oops

5/26/2017 08:22:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments




“I-I can’t do it!” Kaitlin says, storming out of the theatre. She holds her head in her hands, about to cry. “Someday, he’ll have to know. He’s my dad after all.” She finds a nearby bench and takes a seat.

“Maybe I could tell him the same way I told Arjun?” she thinks to herself. Maybe this is a good idea, other than the fact that she was drunk then and he was just being a good friend by bringing her home. She accidentally told him in the car, and then she cleared it up the next morning.

“Should I just get drunk and tell him accidentally so that he won’t take it seriously?” Kaitlin babbled sarcastically. She throws her head back and thinks that she might not ever be able to do this. Sitting there for what seemed like eternity, she notices that it has already been three minutes after the intermission is supposed to end and she already needed to go back inside.

While walking back to the entrance, Kaitlin stops in her tracks. She thinks about how she’ll tell her dad this secret that she’s been hiding for so long. Scenarios like being kicked out of the house or disowned by him play out in her head, and then she starts to think twice about this decision. Is this really worth it? Is this really the right time? Does Dad really have to know? Will I be shamed publicly and be burned at stake?

Kaitlin feels her heart beating so fast, she can feel it in her ears. She takes a deep breath, closes her eyes and blurts “I’m gay!” She smiles. She feels like the weight of the world was just lifted from her shoulders. The curve of her lips disappears once she opens her eyes to reveal her father standing there, not saying a word.

Her dad just remains there, a shocked look comes across his face. “Kaitlin?”

“D-dad, you’re supposed to be inside.” Kaitlin struggles to find the right words to say and that’s all that she can come up with.

“I was going to look for you, the play’s about to resume,” he says. He sighs for a bit and then gives her a smile. “Let’s continue watching the play, shall we?”

“Wait, you’re not mad?” Kaitlin is confused but she’s glad at the same time.

“No, Kait. I’m happy you told me. Well, I imagined this scene to be different but I guess not everything goes my way.” he says, winking. He puts his arm around her and leads her back inside the theatre. “I was beginning to think that you’d keep it a secret from me for the rest of your life.”

“Dad, you knew all along?” Kaitlin beams, taking her seat. An usher urges her to keep quiet as the music plays.

Her dad lets out a subtle chuckle. “I’ll always love you for who you are, baby girl” he whispers to Kaitlin, kissing her forehead. She just smiles and leans on his shoulder for the rest of the performance.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: