english,

Literary: Nemo mortalium

2/28/2020 08:00:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments




As a child, I remember that my favorite days
Were when the carnival opened for us to play
Bright lights and songs of rhyme filled each of my senses
Every family and friend entering through the wooden fences

Rides going around in circles, up-and-down, side-to-side
Whichever we found made us feel more alive
Shows and stories that kept us on the edge of our seats
Tricks of fire and gravity we were rejoiced to meet

Still, the sunset was always the best moment of all
Forgotten change of the day was mine to recall
To the single Dime Pitch, I upped and went
Took every chance with no mind of what was spent.

Today at the carnival, I see now what was meant
For every warning that said time is hard to repent
A tragedy of old to which we promise not to fall
We forget once we find we’re no longer as small

Certain things in life, we can only wish to repeat
Such is every risk I took, chosen to echo my very heartbeat
Scenes of fire and gravity that used to set my heart alight
Seem no longer mine to rejoice in, try as hard as I might

In all this time that I had set up better defenses
What hadn’t crossed my mind were the consequences
I’ve more knowledge and change than I could ever use to play
At the cost of losing the wisdom of my yesterday.

Nemo mortalium
omnibus horis sapit

You Might Also Like

0 comments: