english,

Literary: Routine

3/22/2016 08:47:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments




I have been trying not to look as aged as I actually am.

For approximately 3,550 days, I had my usual patched-up fashion. I would hide my unkempt hair under my Yankees baseball cap, along with a thin leather jacket and a pair of brown jeans, just as I did on the very first 3rd of February 1990.

Every single day had the usual routine. I would take her out to lunch at Denny's, where she'd always order her cream soda. I, however, would change between sandwiches, and tell her how the other flavors differed from the ones I previously had.

Although, other tiny things did deviate from the tedious loop of eventssuch as when I’d suddenly break out and cry from time to time, knowing how I'd lose her again, just as I did on the previous February 3rds of 1990.

I would love to quit and end all of this nonsense.

But I promised.

"I'd never let anything happen to you."

When the day reaches 4:40pm, I make sure to tell her everything; that, in a few moments, the cosmic power of the universe would take her away from me once more. It didn’t matter what way it happened. As long as the variable of time is present, the universe would act upon it as if to remind our obsolescence.

And I have watched her disappear from the face of the earth in 3,500 ways.

Within that span, time had been ever-changing on the current reality since that third of February. As much as it tries, until this repetitive day is put to its final end, the future is at buffer. Despite my gift, even I am not the omnipotent. I could only go back for a day, at most with my abilities. Naturally I chose this power to relive this particular date, the very same February 3rd as it had been every single day for 10 the past years.

But alas, there are promises that can't be kept.

For today, I will put on my usual patched up fashion, take her to Denny's, and order a chicken sandwich.

This time, I won't tell her about her time remaining.

This time, the world will not succumb to my selfish wishes.

And tomorrow will be the Fourth of February, 1990.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: