A Stilled Harp,

Literary: Questions of a Child

4/06/2019 08:54:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments




Where is my mama?
Where is my papa?
Who is my brother?
Who is my sister?

What is my food?
What is this toy?
What color is this?
What shape is that?

What comes before “A”?
What comes before five?
What does an airplane look like?
How does a Tiger growl?

What’s an apple?
What’s one plus two?
What’s one minus one?
What’s two letters after “T”?

Who can play with me?
May I borrow your toy?
What will mama cook for dinner?
Who will do the storytelling?

Who loves my parents?
Who loves my siblings?
Who loves my family?
No one else but me!

But, wait, where is mama going?
Papa, why are you crying?
Where are my siblings?
Are they gone too?

Papa! Papa! Let’s go find them!
Where could they be?
How come they just left me?
No one else but me?

Papa! Papa! Why’d you hit me?
Why? What did I do?
Papa? What’s that knife for?
Papa! No! Don’t kill me!

Where should I escape?
Off the window! Away!
Should I find mama?
Where could she be?

Where are they?
Should they be at the bakery?
Should they be at the church?
Or should they be inside the woods?

Will they be okay?
I hope they’re safe
It’s getting dark?
What time is it?

Where should I go?
Where should I stay?
Would it be dangerous
If I just stayed here?

Why am I crying?
Mama told me not to cry
Where is mama?
I need her hug!

I wandered across streets
I picked up a tin can
And through roads and houses
All I do is beg

Tired, I sat at the sidewalk
And at the corner I’ll stay
Sobbing, tears falling,
I am not ready to say.

Why do people fight?
Why are there bad people?
Why do they kill?
Why don’t they love?

Why are they selfish?
Why are there liars?
Why do they abuse children?
Why are there people suffering?

Why are there street children?
Why do men still rape little girls?
Why do good people suffer?
Why do bad people have good lives?

Why did heaven allow this?
I thought there were angels
Why should life be this hard?
How much do I have to suffer?

Why was I abandoned?
Why did no one get me?
Would no one adopt me?
Would no one help?

Are there answers to my questions?
Is this how people suffer?
Why out of all children?
Why me?

You Might Also Like

0 comments: