edelweiss,

Literary (Submission): Close By

10/17/2016 07:38:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments






I wish I could watch over you
and witness your story unfold
as you gently paint colors on a blank page
and strum the notes to your secret song.

I wish I could listen closer
to your distant whispers in the dusk
as you murmur all the while to yourself
or mourn over your failures

I wish I were close by,
but far enough so you wouldn’t notice.

I wish I were nearer,
but nowhere in your view,

Because even though the best seats were in front, I never could afford it
I am your shadow: the one who knew and would simply follow

And though I’ve always wished to go further
I would rather not
for when I’d go into the light to touch you
I’d burn
seeing you with another.

Never again by such agony
That is, although I long for so much more,
I remain here
and I will stay where I’ve always been-

far from you
but still near me.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: