dumpling,

Literary (Submission): Mx. Plane

9/25/2018 09:09:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments




Dear Mr. Aviation Man,

I want to start by saying, I've always wanted to be a pilot. Ever since I can remember, I’ve always wanted to fly and travel. Just imagining myself steering an 80,000 kg hunk of metal across the ever-changing hues of the sky almost takes my breath away every time I think about it. Mr. Aviation Man, I could tell you a hundred different reasons why I want this. From the sights I want to see, to the people I can meet, to the lessons I can learn, to the lives I can touch. But beyond the obvious reasons, the core, and main reason I want to be part of the aviation industry is a reason so dear and close to my heart. I’m not sure if you’ll even understand me, but here it goes:

You see, my dad is a seaman. He usually goes away for months at a time, leaving us, his family, here on land. Even at the moment of my birth, he wasn’t here. Throughout my life, it felt like I was fatherless, never experiencing the bond other children had with their dad. Sure, I’m lucky enough to actually have a dad, but he’s almost never around, even if I want to be closer to him. I can’t just ask him to stay. He can’t just leave his job, I know that. I know he’s trying his best, I know he’s trying to earn money for us, I know that even with the distance between us, he’s still my dad, no matter how much I miss him every day he’s gone. That’s something I’m forced to accept. That’s just the way life is.

I want to be a pilot, not just for the money, not just for the fun I’m sure to have, not just for the rewards I could get, but I want to be a part of it so I can at least fool myself into believing I’m closer to him- No, I’ll be way above him. It might sound stupid, but let me have the silly fantasy of believing I’m seeing the same sights as he does- only better. I’m meeting more amazing people than he ever could, I’m learning more things than he ever can. Let me indulge in the lie that I’m flying over him, as he looks up from his boat, proud of the height I’ve achieved.


Sincerely,
Mx. Plane

You Might Also Like

0 comments: