english,

Literary (Submission): Always Been Yours

12/11/2020 08:16:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments




From the moment you saved me from falling down the stairs, I knew I’d fall for you. Since then, I had been wishing that you’d catch me once I fall for you too. 

It wasn’t easy getting your attention; right from the beginning you were the star of the show. How hard it was not to notice the hands stealing lingering touches, how they’d always fight just to keep your attention, or even how there was always a trail of people behind you, but what right did I have to you? I was pretty sure there was none, nor would there ever be. So with a subtle pain in my chest, I’d look away. 

But looking away never took the problem away, did it? The months passed by and the pain just increased, constantly nagging at me to just talk to you. But who was I? I was but a shadow behind the long trail of people vying for even a moment of your attention. Yet I wish I had failed to notice the way you’d squint to see what lies behind the line, how a small smile would form on your lips when you find what you were looking for. I shake my head, squishing that spark of hope the small smiles ignited in my heart. 

A year passed, and though the line had shortened, the spark of hope still lied locked away in fear of more pain. People have never been kind to my heart, you know? They had always pushed it around, and given me hope when there was none, so it was easy to accept that I will never be who you really look at. I have never been more sure. But when I began to turn away from you, a feather-light touch made me turn back. Imagine my surprise when I was met by none other than you. 

Ever since you stopped me from turning away, you hadn’t failed at making me feel like your attention was mine. Every second, I spent trying to turn you away, to try and make it stop. Don’t make me hope, please spare my heart. The silent pleas of my eyes that you never seemed to get. But as the days passed by, I swear I saw a determined look in your eyes. For what, I might never know. 

Five months since, and I still wonder why you stopped me from looking away. Nowadays, I can almost swear you’re stealing glances every chance you get, trying to make touches last longer than they need to, and calling my attention for the littlest things. I’m beginning to wonder if you’ve just started calling the wrong name, if you’re looking at someone behind me, or if your lingering touches have been nothing but my cruel imagination, but when you say my name as if I’ve hung the moon and the stars, that hidden spark of hope seems to try and shine brighter, and I find myself caring less and less about trying to put it out.Two years have passed since that accident on the stairs, and if anything, I can now say I am close to pleading for you to save my heart from pain. Take away this feeling of fear and uncertainty. A little longer and there’d be no saving left to do. There is no turning back from the words I would say because I might just blurt out my love for you. So as I walk up the stairs at the busiest time of the day, a small push is all it takes for me to feel that rush of fear I did two years ago. As I approach the impending pain, I think of how you’d been looking at me and how warm you feel when we’d touch, of how I wish there’d be no pain because of falling, not only off these stairs, but of falling - completely - for you. I resign myself to my fate and wait for the impact. Instead, I feel arms catch me exactly as they did two years ago, along with the most genuine whisper of “I’ll always catch you."

You Might Also Like

0 comments: