english,

Literary (Submission): Past Tense

12/11/2020 07:56:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments




We were young, in love, naive.
It was so foolish of me to think that you were the one.
We were young, immature, stupid.
But we were in love
and love has foolish written all over it.
We battled everything, everyone.
It was us against the world,
We thought of everything.
Nothing was supposed to stop us.
Not our family, school, even ourselves.
What we failed to consider
was time.
How stupid of us to think that we could make this work.
How arrogant of us to think that we could battle the clock.
How stupid, arrogant, and foolish. So naive.
But I would be lying if I told you that I didn't love you with all my heart.
Because I loved you with all of me.
With all of time.
Every ticking of the clock,
days, hours, minutes, seconds.
I loved you.
You were my happiness.
The reason I smile.
The reason I laugh and chuckle.
The reason I write.
You were my metaphor,
My simile, my rhyme.
But there's nothing we could do against time.
We're only human.
We are helpless against the hands of the clock,
against the night and day,
against months and years,
helpless against time.
It's our common enemy, nemesis, adversary.
Yet it can't do anything,
against memory.
Time. A funny thing.
Especially for us.
All I did was love you.
Now, all I can do is remember.
And as time passed,
Everything faded.
Everything's in past tense.
Except my memory of you.
You will always be my maybe.
My what if.
My what could've been.
You are every regret.
Every heartache.
Every painful memory.
You were the man I loved.
Faded in time,
But not in my heart and mind.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: