english,

Literary: At The Other End

6/11/2021 06:58:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments





To the person who’ll stand at the other end of the aisle, this one’s for you.

            I’m sorry I stopped writing to you. To be honest, I started to doubt that I would ever get a chance to meet you. My faith was tarnished because of some unfortunate events. I even punished myself for believing in someone I’ve never even met before. I thought maybe I was only fooling myself. I felt so lonely and hopeless. I didn’t have anything or anyone to hold on to. It turns out, I was just holding on to the wrong people, but now I have one—I always have.

            These letters give me hope, not just in love, but also in life. Even if you’re not literally by my side, you’re always there for me. Whenever I’m hopeful about something, I write to you. Whenever I feel like crying, I write to you. And even at times when emptiness hits me, I write to you. I want to share with you every smile I wear and every teardrop that falls. Through this journal, I’m letting you witness every chapter of my life, even the ones I have hidden from the world.

            Sometimes, I can’t help but wonder what kind of person you are. Are you the serious type who’s reserved and always plans everything, or are you a goofy person with a great sense of humor and who’d act on a spur of the moment? Are you into music and arts or are you more into athletics? Are you someone who’d dance with me in the rain, or are you someone who’d hold an umbrella over my head? Do you sleep when the moon is up or do you wait ‘til the sun rises? Do you like your coffee sweet or strong? I'm curious because I want to make you one.

            I want to know what you like and what you don’t. I want to unravel your fears and support you in achieving your dreams. I want to be your shoulder to cry on when you hit rock bottom, and be your number one fan when you’re on the top of the world. I want to keep you in between my arms and hold you so tight that my heart would start to beat in sync with yours. I want to be your favorite person, your partner-in-crime, your adventure buddy—your best friend.

            I can’t wait to do the simplest things in life with you. We’d turn up the music when we’d go on a trip. We’d walk down the street to enjoy the beautiful sunset. We’d go to the rooftop to gaze upon the stars. Or we could just sit on the sofa and cuddle in silence. You are the first person I want to see when I wake up in the morning, and the last voice I want to hear before I fall asleep.

            However, despite all of these things, I know that there would be days when we’d let our pride prevail rather than respect the other. There would come a day when we’d choose to stay silent to avoid having another argument. And there might be a time when we’d choose self-preservation rather than saving this marriage. But that’s alright, because all of this is part of the plan.

            We’d search for tranquility in the middle of every storm that would come our way. I am not someone who has a lot of patience but, you are the person I’m willing to forgive a thousand times. I am someone who builds walls of pride around my heart but, I promise to take responsibility for every trouble I cause. Forgiveness and acceptance are the strongest foundations of any relationship. But friendship is the secret in fulfilling a lifelong commitment.

            I always pray for your safety. I pray for your personal growth. I hope that you’d have a kind heart that would be filled with passion, a pure mind, and a healthy soul. I want you to live your life the best way possible because you deserve it. You have no idea how much I talk about you in my prayers. That’s how much I love you. I don’t even know you yet but, I already want what’s best for you.

            Among all the pages of this book, this is the most important one. This would be the last letter without your name in it. By the time you read this, there is a possibility that the person who arranged all of these words isn’t the same anymore. All of these pages are the pieces you will need to understand the kind of person I was, but these won’t be enough for you to know what kind of person I am. Some chapters cannot be written on paper. Some could only be discovered by you.

            When the wooden doors of this place open, I want you to remember all the things you didn’t like about me and ask yourself if the person at the other end is the one you’d like to spend the rest of your life with. Whatever your decision may be, the doors would be wide open. But if your heart chooses to accept all of that mess, I want you to forget everything and only set your eyes on me. Every step would feel like defying time and the aisle would be our time machine. The first few steps would be a walk down memory lane. You would remember every growth and every struggle we went through. The following steps would be a chance to take a peek into our future. Your imagination would take you anywhere but, we’ll try to make it all come to life. And lastly, the final steps would take you back into reality. That wouldn’t be the moment when the time would stop—that would be the moment when the time would actually begin. When you hold my arm in front of the altar, I want you to know that I’m not going anywhere. I’m here to stay ‘til the end.


            “I, take thee, to be my wedded spouse, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, ‘til death do us part.”


            I still have no idea who I’m talking to but, whoever you may be, I look forward to the day I’d wear the ring with your promise and my first name along with your last.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: