english,

Literary (Submission): Burning Feathers

9/25/2018 08:55:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments




Icarus flies with old wax and feathers
Wings that he crafted with his loving father
And both, locked away, up high in a tower
Flew out the window, without looking down

Across the great ocean, they flew to the sky
The openness greeted their mortal ambitions
But beneath all the greetings that seem so inviting
Are truths that have led most flyers astray

His dear old father, he knew way better
With experiences going down years and years deep
He flew way higher than where water pulls down
but lower that he doesn’t burn from the sun

But Icarus, young and naive as he was
He never did listen to his loving dad
A person who never did want him to fall
Whether from flying too high or too low

He flew way too high, and soared through the sky
Across the great ocean he feels he would pass
With hues, ever-changing, with golden white rays
And a fiery feeling, that burns deep within

Icarus, too deaf with his own ambition
The thrill of the top was his biggest downfall
He flew up too high, wings burnt up to ashes
And there, he did fall and his pride filled with gashes

He drowned in the deep dark seas of his making
Which made him not dream, without even waking
He lost his breath, from a sight way above him
And from the great heights, he burnt up with a splash

The warmness of sunlight, the softness of clouds
The feeling that you never have to go down
Flight was his siren, his hubris, sin
The problem, I, Icarus, have deep within.

Yes, I am he, who flew up above
Burned by the rays, engulfed by the sea
But I only regret one thing in my mind
My father, who had to go leave me behind

If he could read this, I wish him the best
Someone please tell him I’m taking my rest
To be carried by pride, mixed with wax and old feathers
I’m such a disgrace and,


“I’m sorry, my father.”

You Might Also Like

0 comments: