english,

Literary (Submission): Of Waiting

2/11/2016 08:56:00 PM Media Center 1 Comments




You know how there are things that you're just used to being there? That is, until something or someone comes in and changes everything you think. Then suddenly it’s gone, leaving you hoping that it would come back. Eventually, however, you'd give up on waiting. And just when you stopped, it comes back. But it’s just a little too late. As time passed you realized you never really lost interest. And now, you’re the one who's chasing what was once there.

That’s exactly how it was for me.

For a long time, every night, I would go out and gaze at the stars. There's this constellation that seems incomplete—as if it's missing a star. And I fell in love with it because it reminds me so much of myself.

But that was 'til I met you—the star that completes that constellation in the sky and made me fall in love with it even more. But the problem was you also completed some other constellation. So there I thought it wasn't meant to be, that it just so happens to be there right there, where my constellation lies.

So as time passed, the star drifted away, like you. But I became used to the incompleteness of the constellation. Somehow, I became used to how things were. I didn’t even notice that you came back because by that time, I wasn't there to see it. I've been so busy that I barely have time for anything. In fact, I haven't been out in a long time. I missed whiling my time away, gazing at the stars upon the night sky.

When I finally had the time to go outside, the star wasn't there anymore. You weren't there. And I can’t help asking why is it that whenever I'm there, you're not? And whenever I'm not, you're there? It was like planets aligned in our skies at the same time, but we were from different galaxies.

Now, it’s my turn to wait. It's my turn to stay here. Hoping that you, the star that would complete that constellation in the sky would come back to complete me.

I never had the patience to wait for anything. But I could and I would wait for you. I would wait for that moment when everything in the universe finally clicks in place for us.

Because time has made me realize that you and me, in that moment, would be worth it.

You Might Also Like

1 comment: