english,

Literary: The Road

2/12/2019 08:07:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments




I’m walking on a road I know very well. This is the path I take every time I go to school. It usually takes me around fifteen minutes to reach school by walking, but today, for some reason, I’ve already been walking for an hour. I walk and walk, yet it feels like I haven’t moved at all. The scenery around me is still the same, no matter how far I go. The uneven path, the buildings, my house, the lamp posts, and the Narra tree that I used to climb when I was a kid. But the weirdest part… is that there are no people. It’s around 7:00 a.m. in the morning, and usually, you can hear the magtataho shout for customers or see the students and office workers walking in the streets by this time. Everything is silent; I can’t hear or see anyone around me. “What’s happening? Am I dreaming?” I can’t help but ask this question in my head. I start to panic; I hear my heart beat loudly in my ears. I feel a bead of sweat trickle down my forehead.

Suddenly, I see someone… or something, walking towards me. He, or whatever it is, is at least eight feet tall. It has arms, legs, and a head. He looks human but he is completely black. Yes… he is as black as a night sky without stars. His body doesn’t have any features. His face is like a void trying to suck me in. If I were to describe him simply, I would say that it’s as if darkness took the shape of a human being. My body is trembling; my body and my instincts are telling me to run from this nightmare before me, yet I couldn’t move a single bit. As I stand there paralyzed, the creature stopped walking. “W-what do you want from me?” I ask with a trembling voice. The creature in front of me does not reply. Instead, it stares at me… five seconds… ten seconds. As time passes by, I notice that my legs are numb. Then I hear it say a single word. “Everything.”

I run. I run as fast I can to escape from it. I am not going to wait for it to tell me what it meant by everything. I take a left turn at the intersection, then I take a right around the corner. I run as far as my legs can take me; I don’t care where I end up. I just run to escape from the nightmare behind me. After running for a long time, I stop. I’m on my knees, gasping for air. My heart feels like it’s going to burst, and my feet ache. I’m so exhausted; my legs buckle under me and give in. I inhale and exhale for a couple more times until I feel better. I look around at my surroundings to look for the creature but he is nowhere to be found. “Looks like he’s gone…” I breathe a sigh of relief. But what is this chill I feel in my spine? Even though I know that everything is alright, I still feel that something’s wrong. I look at my surroundings once again, and that’s when I notice it… Everything is the same. The road, the buildings, my house. I hear a footstep behind me and I see the creature of darkness approaching me step by step. ”Stop! Don’t come any closer!” The creature does not listen to my words and soon reached for me with its dark hands.

I wake up gasping for air. I look around for the creature but all I see is my room. I switch the lights on to calm myself. “What a nightmare…” I steadied my breathing and thought of the surreal dream I just experienced. “Thank God it was all a dream” I sighed and closed the lights. As I covered myself with my blanket preparing to sleep again, I noticed something at the far end of my room. I squinted to see it more clearly but as soon as I did, I felt chills. A dark human figure.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: