Elliot,

Literary: Yesterday's Sorrow, Tomorrow's Hope

5/28/2021 06:28:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments




September 12, 2005

Dear Diary,

            It’s my 12th birthday today! My mom gave me this diary as a gift. I was so happy when she gave me this earlier! Having a diary was one of my birthday wishes because I always see my friends carry diaries around in their backpacks. I also want to write and share what happens to my life every day without anyone knowing. So I will keep this safely hidden in my room so that no one can read it secretly.

            Today was really fun! I saw my grandparents, my aunts, and my friends! The clown was so funny and cool! His magic tricks were so amazing! Also, my cake was so beautiful! I never thought that I would have that kind of cake, it was so BIG!

            I hope everyone enjoyed my party! And to you, my diary, I hope you enjoyed listening to my day too! We will have a lot of stories soon!

From your friend,
Me, myself & I

November 27, 2005

            Hello Diary! Today was our report card day. My parents were happier with my grades this year compared to last year. To reward me, they gave me a doll! It is so cute!!!! I have always wanted a doll, but they always told me that it was an unnecessary and expensive purchase and that I should learn to only buy necessary things. It made me sad, but it didn’t stop me from making myself some dolls. I remember that I used to make dolls from scratch paper, yarn, and socks. I would sleep beside them every day and take care of them as if they were my own pets. But soon, my parents learned about the socks and were very upset with me. They said that it was a waste of a good pair of socks; they grounded me for the day to reflect on what I did. It was very confusing at first, but that doesn’t matter right now—I have my own doll!!

            I promise to take care of her, give her a nice home, and talk to her every day! They said that I can keep her and buy her new friends if I keep excelling at my academics and if I don’t, they will take my doll away from me. But no matter what happens, I will do my best to bring more friends for my doll! Thank you, Diary! I hope you enjoyed it!

From your best friend,
Me, myself & I

December 25, 2005

Dear Diary,

            MERRY CHRISTMAS, my dear friend Diary! I received a lot of gifts today! I was so excited to open presents, but my mom said that I have to wait until the New Year otherwise my gifts will be cursed. Instead, she said that we have to go to her province to visit our grandparents. We left the house in the afternoon and arrived at my parents’ childhood home, just in time for the Christmas party we hold annually. This event is almost the only time we get together as a family and almost the only time I get to play with my cousins.

            My cousins are a lot older than me and I admire them so much; some of them are already in their dream colleges, a step closer to achieving their dreams, while some are in high school awaiting graduation. My parents always make it a competition to be better than they were because, as they say, “excellence is the only key to success”.

            I wanted to hang out with my cousins, but they told me that I was too young to join their discussions, so instead, I went to our room and wrote to you—my Diary. I don’t understand why I feel like I don’t fit anybody’s expectations. I always feel like I’m failing rather than succeeding, which is what I’m supposed to be doing. OMG what am I doing to myself? I sound pathetic! I just want to spend this day happily but I guess I’m ruining it for myself. Hopefully I can play with my toys tomorrow when we go home. That’s it, Diary! Thank you for being here for me.

From your one and only friend,
Me, myself & I

January 28, 2006

Dear Diary,

            Why am I such a failure? Today, I failed two of my Long Tests. Where did I go wrong? I studied, I memorized important details, I even did my ritual before taking the test. Yet, I still failed. Oh no! This is going to badly affect my grades, my chances of running for highest honors, which will negatively impact my chances of getting into a top-notch college with a full scholarship, which can affect my chances of getting into a high-paying job.

            I just basically ruined my life.

            What am I going to do? My parents will be so mad when they find out. If only you could speak, my dearest Diary, what do you suggest I do?

From your failure of a friend,
Me, myself, & I

March 12, 2006

Dear Diary,

            I thought friends would be there for you when you’re at your lowest. I guess I was wrong... I’ve been feeling low since my parents are always criticizing my grades for being “too average”—I am just really tired. I want them to be happy but the pressure is giving me a hard time keeping up with school. Our subjects are getting more impossible each year but they probably don’t know that. Sometimes I just want to be a student who passes everything and not be punished for being—well, average. I hate feeling like this.

            I told my friends about this yesterday and now they won’t talk or even notice me because I don’t have excellent grades like them? They also spread rumors about me, saying I have a “Loser Disease” where, according to them, if I touch or interact with anybody, they would catch the same illness. So, I went home as the bell rang without communicating with anyone. I can feel all the negative energy fueling my entire body. I want to scream. I want to cry. I want to leave... I want to transfer. I can’t take it anymore! Diary, don’t leave me okay? Thank you for listening to me again.

From a loser,
Me, myself & I

March 25, 2006

Dear Diary,

            I don’t want to go to school anymore. Everyone is still ignoring me; I told my parents about this but all I got was another lecture about success and the cons of failing. I couldn’t pull my grades up and my dolls have been taken away from me. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do. I feel tired most of the time; I want to keep trying but I can’t bear to see their disappointed faces anymore. Why do I keep feeling this way? I shouldn’t. There are people out there who have it worse. Yet I'm here whining about how my friends betrayed me and how I always feel like a disappointment to my parents. Will I ever be enough for anybody? I don’t know and I don't care anymore. I want to give up! No I don’t, not really. Dear Diary, what am I going to do?

From a disappointment
Me, Myself, and I

June 28, 2006

Dear Diary,

            I don’t know how to write this without my hands shaking and my tears falling.

            My mom has breast cancer.

            My dad and I just learned about it today but my mom had known for years. I didn't fully understand what it meant at first, then I remembered the same disease my grandmother had. My parents were really devastated when she passed.

            I don’t know what to do. What if she leaves me? What do I do without her? What will happen to me and my dad if she leaves? I don’t want her to leave… I can’t live without her. We were just so happy yesterday. Why is this happening? Diary, I hope she gets well soon…

From your friend,
Me, myself & I

September 12, 2006

Dear Diary,

            Happy birthday to me, I guess. Everything around me is falling apart. My friends are gone, my mom is sick, and I feel like I am such a burden to my parents. We are not the richest; my parents can only provide our basic needs—and with my mom’s medication and hospital bills, our finances have dropped. I want to help, but how? I’m only 13.

            Should I get a job? Should I start saving money for myself now? How can I help my parents? I really don’t know what to do. I guess I have to do well in school so that my parents will feel at ease.

            Oh, they bought me a cake today. It was so sweet but all I could think about was how they tried to put on happy faces when their eyes were telling me the opposite. I felt my heart wrench when my mom sang “Happy Birthday”. She is so weak and fragile from all the medicine she’s been taking. I pray she gets better, I love her very much, I don’t want to lose her.

            I hope we will be happier soon. I hope my mom will get better. Thank you for being there for me again, My Diary.

From your confused friend,
Me, myself & I

May 7, 2013

Dear Diary,

            It’s been a while since I’ve written here. I am so sorry for leaving you after I asked you to not leave me, but I just ate everything that I said. I missed you—big time. If I didn't need something in our storeroom, I would probably not have seen nor remembered you. It’s nice meeting you again!

            This feels so nice.

            Have I told you yet? I’m 20! I've grown a lot. Are you proud of me? Ohhhhh also, I graduated from college!! With a degree in Management Engineering! Fancy, right? And I’m going to work soon at my dream company! How exciting is that?

            I realized sooooooooooooo many things since the last time I wrote to you.

            Admittedly, my life was so difficult to handle then. I’m so thankful that I had you when I felt my world was caving in. I learned a lot more about life. I felt stronger and I got more independent as I fought alone.

            When I stopped writing to you, that was when I felt like I hit rock bottom. I remember crying almost every night, blaming myself for everything bad that had happened to us. For months I believed that I was the problem. I had lost all my energy to study, eat, and write to you—my dearest Diary. My dad was worried about me, so he decided to send me to church for prayers, but that didn’t help. I felt guiltier and more of a burden—I got worse. I could barely sleep and was drowning in negative thoughts. I really didn’t know what to do at that time. But as they say, “When you’ve hit rock bottom, that’s where you can start to climb back.” I don’t know exactly how it happened, but it happened.

            Slowly, I started getting out of bed, taking a bath, cleaning my room—and I took my time when it came to bigger activities such as exercising or attending events, but again I was able to do it! As years passed by, I got back on my feet, and now look at me—I’m a fresh graduate! Everything got better because of my dad’s support and my therapist’s help. My therapist taught me a lot of things that can help me become a happier and healthier person. I am thankful for her. She helped me realize that life will give you more than what you expect if you believe in yourself and stay strong for yourself.

            I still have a lot of time. I am still young, but I am going to fight and I will continue to give this unknown life meaning. Things do get better!

From your best gal,
Cleo :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments: