Danisy,

Literary: No Stalgia

4/28/2021 06:00:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments





I don’t want to go back in time,
but nostalgia is a time machine
Listening to music
takes me back to when I was thirteen

“Closer” by The Chainsmokers
reminds me of 2016,
of 7th grade when I tried to open up,
when I let myself be seen

It didn’t last long;
I was a dandelion flower blooming
just to end up as a seed being blown away
I knew I should have kept trying

“Dancing Queen” by ABBA
reminds me of a wasted year of being seventeen.
Pre-quarantine, I should’ve been young and sweet,
but now, time has passed and I’m eighteen

In the past, we always think,
“Things can never get worse than this.”
We wasted time overthinking
now all we can do is reminisce

I don’t like regrets,
and I’d rather not feel,
but certain items keep nudging me,
saying, “Remember those aspirations that could’ve been real?”

My Converse backpack
stuck with me even when it got a hole or two,
reminds me of when I was too scared to change,
to let people see what they weren’t used to

They say being scared is a good thing
for it shows that you care
But I cared too much, I was too scared
fearing change didn’t get me anywhere

The clicking of my keyboard
takes me back to when I was passionate to write,
when I was full of motivation and purpose
now, I’m writing a poem that is due tonight

This poem could’ve been better,
I could’ve socialized more;
I could’ve gone into the room of opportunities,
before time ran out, closing the door

I don’t want to keep on remembering,
I don’t want to change anything;
I don’t want to be haunted by memories,
I’d rather let them go than let them cling

I want to stop feeling,
want to forget what could’ve been;
I want to live in the moment,
want to keep looking forward

Ditch the time machine

We think time is too slow
until it has already passed
Nostalgia is just here to laugh at me,
reminding me that nothing really lasts

I’m not going back in time,
I’d rather go ask for more—
More time to let the seeds grow,
more time on the dance floor

‘Cause if I’d end up regretting anyway,
why not just do whatever?
If I end up wondering what could’ve been again,
why not live life and see if it can get better?

Nostalgia as a time machine is not the way to go
since regrets are all it can give
I’ll acknowledge my mistakes, I’ll learn from them
but I won’t look back for as long as as I live




You Might Also Like

0 comments: