dandelion,

Literary: Abandoned Home

1/22/2021 07:24:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments





The old house stands alone and abandoned
A place where life used to thrive.
Its rooms and hallways, which once echoed with laughter,
Are now void of any sound.

If only these empty rooms could give up their secrets
So many stories I'm sure they would tell
Of my once-vibrant home
And the childhood that I simply cannot let go

My memories begin to clutter
Unknowingly, I’m brought back to a pathway
Hearing a familiar sound, a mutter of a lawnmower
That used to keep this place prim, proper

However, what used to be a well-trodden path to the doorway
Has completely vanished from the sight of its former owners
Now overgrown with the passing of time
Seemingly a jungle of tall grass

The garden where, as kids, we would play
Savoring the cool breeze of wind while on my favorite swing
The bright morning sky beaming, mirroring my toothy smile
Now only a broken swing and memories remain

In this monochromatic quarter
I used to lay in deep sleep, when the clock struck nine
My dreams filled with rainbows and unicorns
Peaceful, content in my little haven

Now it lays silent, forlorn and bare
My dreams confined in its four corners
The only witness is its silent borders
And its shattered boarded-up windows

The old house now stands abandoned
Derelict, forgotten, alone
Locked inside are my childhood dreams
My laughter, my innocence

My feet stir against the dust
As I take one last glance
I slowly come to a realization
I know that I, too, must leave this house

However difficult it might be
It's still a comfort to know that wherever I go
I will forever have memories, stories
That I would never need to let go of

Despite the faded paint
Its colors will always stay vibrant
Every corner of each room
Every edge, vivid

And it will forever remain that way
For as long as I remember
For as long as I do not fail to forget,
This abandoned house will always be my home.
With its stories kept hidden inside my head.


You Might Also Like

0 comments: