english,

Literary: In a Ramshackle Home

11/27/2020 07:32:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments



Torn,
stripped,
and tattered,
I've been through a lot.

In tears
and screams,
and pain,
my heart wallowed in sorrow.

And in the end, the silence,
the company of none...
oh, that must be the hardest part,

to wake each day and question
what is it I have done
to walk with no one beside me
and be burdened with a son,

to hear a mouthful of scoldings
and taking blame for what I've "done",
no one loves any story more
than of the girl having too much fun.

And every night, the cries unending
the relic of my past,
I join in weeping with the small body I hold in my hands.

But the small body I hold,
no matter how it haunts me,
I cannot seem to be rid of it,
nor can I set it free.

Its fingers are so delicate,
strangers to a life so adverse.
Its cheeks are so soft and smooth,
unknowing of hardships beyond its cradle.

Its eyes are the brightest,
perhaps more than any star,
though they resemble a monster's
they can't keep me very far.

Torn,
stripped,
and tattered,
I've been through a lot.

But in my arms I carry no burden
but the only right thing amidst it all.

I see the smile on my baby's face,
the warmest fire in the room,
and I think
maybe I can make it through.

That is when I smile too.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: