english,

Literary: I am alone, I am nothing, I am hopeless

11/27/2020 07:58:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments



***


I am hopeless.
By Elroy Sun

I am a failed work of art
A product of a mistake
Cannot be undone.

I am a dish burnt to a frazzle
Supposed to be enjoyed
But forgotten.

I am in darkness
I don’t know where I am
Lights are gone.

I am a broken glass
Shattered to pieces
Cannot be put together again.

I am a lightning rod
Constantly shocked
Chances unknown.

I am a clock that struck midnight
Time’s up
The end.

This world is finite
This world is full of lies
This world is ruthless.

I am alone.
I am nothing.
I am hopeless.


***

“And that’s it,” said Elroy, preparing a sheet of paper to print his output onto.

Elroy began printing his finished poem. While doing so, he couldn’t help but turn his phone on.

Beep after beep sounded. For the past 5 hours, messages have been piling up.

~~~

Ernie sent a message.

Brooo waddup? Remember the painting I said I botched? Well, I kind of salvaged it. I know life’s been hard, especially these past few days. I hope this lightens you up in the meantime.

Attached is a picture of the painting Ernie painted for Elroy. Although the flaws are obvious, Elroy recognizes his face on the canvas, smiling.

~

Mom sent a message.

Hi Elroy sweetie, I’m very sorry about the weekend dinner fiasco. Don’t worry, I’ll make it up to you. Come over at 6 pm for dinner. I will make sure to keep an eye on the stew from now on.

~

Dad sent a message.

Elroy, I finally fixed the lights in your old bedroom. Your mom and I also cleaned the place up and it looks good as new. If you want to sleep at home, just hit me or your mom up, not literally of course. Just remember that you always have a place here.

We miss you a lot.

~

Red sent a message.

Elliee,

I’m really sorry about your favorite mug. I know how much you loved that mug and it was so careless of me to accidentally drop it. So I worked all day just to put it all back together, though you can’t drink from it anymore. I think it could work better as a display or a pen holder.

Again, I’m really sorry.

Love you.

Attached is a picture of Elroy’s mug, with glue marks everywhere. The shards are still recognizable but Red did his best to put it back together.

~

Claude sent a message

Hey man, I read your status. Is everything okay? If you don’t have anyone to talk to, you can always talk to me. :)

~

Professor Williams sent an e-mail

Good morning class,

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I have decided to extend the deadline of the poem to next week.

Use the extension wisely.

Have a nice day.

~~~

The printer beeped; the printing was done.

Elroy held his paper, looked at it,

crumpled it and threw it into the trash.

And he breathed deeply.

He sat at his computer and worked again.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: