Elliot,

Literary: Transitioning

10/30/2020 06:25:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments




    
The periodic beeps of the heart monitor echoed throughout the hollow white room that was given to me right after I came out of the Emergency Room. I was taken in because of an aneurysm and went directly into a coma. My body was paralyzed but my mind was awake. Days and months have gone by and it’s been torture knowing my friends and family suffer from the possibility that I might reach my expiration date sooner than expected. The moment I was brought into that dreary hospital room, life became a monotonous and never-ending cycle of torment. 


    A soft brush against my cheek woke the stillness of my dull night. I tried to scan the room within my eyes’ limit, then a blurry, dark figure emerged from a faint flash of light. It was standing beside me, watching me struggle as I drowned in the bitterness of letting go. I was getting tired and feeling so helpless. I missed the idea of being able to “live life”. I missed the heavenly tastes of food, I missed the awkward family gatherings, I missed getting tired after a good workout. But time was working against me. 


    I was woken up by my whole body seizing. For the first time, I felt my body, but I could also hear myself flatline. Panic was building up in my throat. “I’m not ready.” Nobody was there except for the blurry dark figure I saw the other day, sitting at the foot of my bed. Strangely, its presence was very inviting, like a warm blanket on a cold night. I tried to reach for it but it disappeared. Finally, a nurse rushed in and called the doctor to bring me to the ICU. It was a very busy night but I couldn’t erase the feeling of comfort that the dark figure brought. 


    The nurses called my sister who came about 30 minutes later. I couldn’t bear the pain I saw in her eyes. I wasn’t ready to let go but what could I do? The clock was ticking and I could barely breathe. Maybe, just maybe, time was telling me that I’ve had my fair share in life. Maybe it was finally time for others to live theirs and move on. 


    The next morning felt transcendent. It seemed like all the weight was lifted from my shoulders. I could finally breathe. Excitement rushed through my soul and I couldn’t stop myself from smiling. I was dancing with delight when a knock on my hospital door sent shivers down my spine. Suddenly my mind was filled with uncertainty. I slowly approached the door, not knowing what to expect, but as soon I opened it, I was greeted by a familiar face. 


    “It was you, wasn’t it?” 

    He laughed. “Eventually, death can’t keep us apart.” I immediately jumped into his arms and kissed him. “It’s time,” he said. I turned around and saw my pale, lifeless body. 

    “Goodbye,” I thought, “thank you for the wonderful journey.” He hugged me once more and led me to the bright light.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: