english,

Literary: Thirteen.

10/30/2020 07:27:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments




One, two, three.
Four shots into the night.
Four sets of pleading eyes I do not dare look at
roll from left to right.

Five, six, seven.
Eight hits to people unknowing.
Eight mouths that utter their last breaths
with tears on their cheeks flowing.

Nine, ten, eleven.
Twelve strikes I perform unfeelingly
Twelve dreams of people I’ve never met
drowned by crimson tides mercilessly.

I see their faces in every stranger,
they wander into my sleep.
They call upon me to come and join them
with the sorrowful howls they weep.

Every night, I wake with sweat upon my furrow,
from my mouth, a cacophony of their screams combined.
Eyes pierce through me in the veil of darkness,
condemning me for leaving their bodies behind.

For so long, I have been a prisoner,
a captive to this sordid life.
My stomach’s rumblings are quieted
as long as I hold gun and knife.

The man I serve smiles broadly,
A life lost is his precious gain.
What a fool I have been to think
that I’d be spared from his cruel game.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: