english,

Literary: Spawn Point

10/30/2020 06:56:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments




Breathing heavily as I clutch my pillow, I rouse myself awake. In an effort to calm and fully wake myself, I sit up and lean back against my headboard. For about a full five minutes, I gaze at the gauzy curtains drawn over my bedroom windows, quivering. I reach for my phone and find a missed call from an unknown number.

It's six in the morning so I decide to grab a coffee downstairs, phone in hand in case the unknown number calls again. I sit at my coffee table, wondering who it might be.

Suddenly, the nightmare that I was having before I woke pops into my head. In that nightmare, I found myself standing in the corner of my room. Out of my body. I saw myself lying unconscious on my bed and I tried to scream to wake myself up. My lips wouldn’t budge. All my senses were numbed, and I was trussed up by chains. As I tried my best to get out of this situation, I looked up. Blood dribbled from my head and spilled onto my wooden floor. Dread took over as I saw my room fill up with my blood. It was almost like a pool of blood. I tried to escape so I could wake my sleeping body, close to drowning, but the chains were so strong, as if they could never be broken by anything. Then, I am woken up by the blare of a ringtone.

It is, by far, the strangest dream I’ve ever had. I am having a hard time figuring out what it means, thinking that maybe I’m just tired before going to bed. As I finish my coffee, I notice a note reminding me to buy Halloween decorations for this coming October stuck to my refrigerator. It reads, “Gabriel! Decorations, TODAY!!” Knowing that I would forget about them again, I decide to just go and get them now. I go upstairs to get the things I need, and I am ready to go. As I’m locking my door, finally, I get a text message from the unknown number.

Y u have to list n to me! St y at home and

can el your sched le for this day!!

You’ e going to !

Please list n to me! D n’t ignore this me sage!

I stare at my phone, confused. Only one person I know messages this way. Me. The things I type come out quite funny because of my antique cellphone that has a broken keyboard. Sometimes, the letters show on the screen, but sometimes, they don't. I instantly suspect my friends to be behind this as they are the only people I message and who know about my phone’s condition. I just reply…

I hate y u! who is th s btw??

I put back my phone into my pocket and continue to walk. I like the atmosphere today. Dazzling sky with nippy air. Wet grass and freezing water. Thick coats and cozy hats. It was an ordinary day in the wintertime. I don’t own a car, so I have to walk twenty blocks from my house. I don’t mind walking because I enjoy it anyways. I start to listen to music. Around fifteen minutes later, I’m almost to the shop. I just have to cross the street and pass a bakery.

Once I enter the shop, I head straight to the decorations section. I am momentarily distracted by the small spinning carousel displayed in the center of the shop and wonder how long it's been spinning. One horse has its head cracked and I have no idea why the staff hasn’t fixed it yet. It gives off an eerie vibe. I feel drawn to it, but at the same time, I’m afraid of it. It bothers me, as if the horse is calling me. I keep seeing that horse again and again as it spins and aligns with my perspective. I grab everything that I need and head toward the counter. While waiting for the cashier to scan and total my purchases, I receive another text.

Please l sten to me! St y at the shop until

midni ght before going hom !

L sten to me or you’ll d !

PLEASE L STEN TO ME!

YOU HAVE TO UND RSTAND

THAT TH S IS NOT A J KE!

I feel like my heart is going to jump out of my chest. How does this person know that I am inside the shop? I start to realize that this is serious. I look around, realizing that whoever may be behind the unknown number wants something from me. He wants me to stay so he can easily get to me. I realize I'm shaking. I don't know what to do; I'm horrified. I just pay for everything, grab my purchases, and secure them in between my arms and my ribs. I then reply:

LEAVE ME AL NE!

H w did you get my n mber!?

WHO THE HECK IS TH S!

I run hastily outside and decide to go straight to the police station, which is twenty blocks from where I stand. The adrenaline from my body courses at the speed of light through my veins. I’m experiencing the biggest rush of my life. The cold air is biting my face. My legs are starting to become numb and stiff. I can hear my footsteps slap on the hard pavement. My heart is beating fast. I see people staring but I don’t mind; I just run. All I can do is run.

Just before making the final turn before reaching the station, I feel a strong force shove my side. I feel my feet lift off the ground like I am about to be thrown away. The next thing I know, I am lying on the ground, unable to move. I try to stand up, but I can't seem to move my hands. I try to shout but no sound comes out of my mouth. I see people looking straight at me, shouting for help. I am deeply confused and scared. My mind is blank. Screams everywhere. Shocked faces.

But eventually, all the commotion seems to lessen. The last thing I hear is an alert for a text message on my phone, which is still in my hand. Since I lie with my head tilted to the side, I am able to see the text message.

Y U’RE GO NG TO DIE!!

YOU W LL BE HIT BY A CAR GO NG H ME

AND YOU H VE TO STAY AT THE SH P!

L STEN TO ME PLEA E! I DON’T

WANT ME TO DIE! -GABRIEL

A moment later, I find myself standing next to my body, holding a phone identical to the one in my hand. This feels just like my nightmare. I see blood dripping from my head, oozing through the rough road. I look at the phone I’m holding, and I’m about to send another message to my very own number... but it’s too late.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: