ampersand,

Literary: Reverse Eulogy

10/30/2020 08:04:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments




Dear ______,


    I’m writing this because I don’t know when the end is. I’m not scared of the end though, I accepted the fact that everyone or everything will end. But what makes me scared is us not knowing when it will happen. Tomorrow? The day after tomorrow? Next week? Next month? Or maybe next year? We don’t know—actually, nobody knows. One thing’s for sure, at this very moment, we’re alive and kicking. That’s why I’ve realized that I should try to do everything that I want, so I’ll not have any regrets later on.

    I greet the school’s security guard good morning every day. I also don’t forget to say goodbye after all of my classes. I always pay extra to the lady serving the food in the cafeteria for adding extra sauce on my lunch. I talk to the librarian every time I’m waiting at the library for my next class. It always amazes me how she loves to help students in need. That's why she chose to be a librarian despite her old age. I always talk to my teachers whenever I have spare time because I want to have a deeper connection with them. I want them to know that they can talk to me whenever they want to ease the stress that they feel from their work. I don’t want to regret anything later on. We don’t know if tomorrow will be our last day of going to school. Remember the time when the class was suspended because of a virus outbreak? It took months before everything went back to normal.

    I always listen to Joshua every time he complains about how many requirements he needs to face on the weekend. I always remind Claudia how she can lean on me anytime. I answer Nick’s calls every time he wants to have a drink and watch a movie. I always give advice to Hazel when she asks for it. I don’t want to regret anything later on. We don’t know if we’ll still meet tomorrow. I remember one time when I was a kid; I declined my childhood best friend because he wants us to play even though it’s late at night already. Guess what, the day after, he didn’t consider me as his best friend and found a new one. Maybe not all of our friends will stick with us until the end.

    I always chit chat with my sister about the last concert she went to. She always shares how she loves that boy band and how they will dominate the world. I always play with my brother. I’m always happy whenever we win in an apocalypse-themed game after helping him kill all the zombies coming for us. I always help my mom in carrying her plants back and forth for her to water it. I get soft listening to her talk eagerly about her growing plants. I always sit by my father’s side when he watches the NBA. I am left in awe seeing his enthusiasm for basketball. I don’t want to regret anything later on. I remembered the time when our family went on a vacation. After returning to the province, my grandfather suddenly died. Even though our family is always besides us, we cannot control time.

    I’m writing this because I don’t know when the end is. I’m writing this because I’m not sure if doing what I want every day is enough to let all of you know how I treasure and appreciate all of you. I’m writing this to tell that I will miss you all. I don’t want to regret anything later on. As this letter ends, I know someday the end will come for me, too, so I’ll just live every day like it’s the last. 

Love,
Me

You Might Also Like

0 comments: