english,

Literary: Dusk

12/02/2016 09:49:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments





It’s almost night time.

The various shades of red, pink, orange, and blue crash into each other, one crossing over the other.

It looks like a painting. I don’t know, dusk always seems like a painting to me. Lights spray the ground with shades of yellow, clouds are painted as if by a professional, the brush seemingly stroked carelessly but ending up precise and perfect. The colors blend, overlapping, but growing fainter as a dark blue overtakes them all.

The sky is starting to get darker.

I’ve been waiting a while, just watching these clouds go by. As the sky changes, I see the sun hide behind the trees, slowly taking its color with it. You’re certainly taking your time.

My legs are starting to become impatient, my mind wandering about where you are. Did you get lost? You know your way around here. Did you get side-tracked? That’s certainly one possibility. Did you forget about me? I- You’re not the kind of person to forget.

…Right?

Lights started to flicker on around me.

All around me, street lamps and car lights turn on, one by one, illuminating the growing night. Fireflies start coming out, dancing around each other in pairs. My eyes follow them as they fly towards the sky that’s littered with little stars, welcomed by the moon and bade farewell by the sun.

I look down and my eyes fall upon you, surrounded by the lights as if they were yours to keep.

Cars are moving fast.

Red and blue lights fall upon you as you’re surrounded by more cars. The sounds of sirens and voices mix together to create a haze of heat and worry. More cars move past, unperturbed by the scene. You’re lying in a mess of dirt, debris, and blood.

This is why you were late. This is why you kept me waiting.

People are walking.

They walk by you as if they don’t care, sometimes taking a glance at the person right there. The looks they give are as if it was only another poor dog run over by a car.

But you’re not.

It’s quiet, but the silence is overwhelming.

The murmur of people, the sound of the cars, the barking of dogs. All of them start to fade away, becoming muffled and turning into silence.

I can’t breathe. This wasn’t supposed to happen.

Everything is moving yet time makes it seem still somehow.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: