english,

Literary: Happiness

9/17/2012 08:15:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments

It seems like such a long time ago. Like an old book with faded words… The memory’s details are lost and the only thing I can recall is what I felt. But it always felt like more of a dream than a memory. A dream that I scorn, yet hold close because I had to remind myself of my past and my mistake. At times, I think about it and wonder… Wonder about what-ifs and maybes, even though I know it won't change anything.

I was drawn to a dizzying bright light. Drunk with thoughts of bliss and euphoria, I ran after that fickle and fleeting dream. It always, always slipped through my fingers. It danced around and escaped every effort I made to capture it.

I was like a madman. No… I was a madman. I never took any notice of my surroundings, to the little things that should have mattered. I brushed off every worried remark and ignored the disappointed frowns. I just wanted to chase after my so-called ‘happiness’. I told myself it was the right thing to do.

I was so lost that I could hardly remember what I did. I only know that I kept chasing after that bright light. It was the only thing in my mind and it became my sole reason for living.

But I tripped and stumbled on the rough path. The pain shook me, waking me up and the haze cleared from my mind. I sat up and looked around. I realized I was in a strange place and I was surrounded by unfamiliar faces. I looked up and saw the light. It sneered (NOTE: lights can't sneer) at me and I finally saw the light for what it truly was… it was evil.

Pure evil that successfully seduced me into insanity. It tricked me and used me! It belittled me for my attempts and scorned me with its sharp words! I was nothing to it. Nothing but a fool.

I was shocked, silent… Was this the dream I chased for so long? Where was the happiness it had promised me a long, long time ago?

No matter how much I tried to rise again my attempts always resulted in me falling and crashing to the ground. The cruel thing laughed over and over again. It hurt so much. I thought I couldn’t be saved. I thought I would never be happy again. I thought I would never get my life back. So I gave up… I just laid there, awaiting my fate. The evil left me to die. And I thought I would die in this cold place, surrounded by hundreds of strangers.

Suddenly, warm hands helped me stand up and loving eyes looked at me worriedly. They brushed away the dirt that clung to my body. Murmurs of comfort and support filled my ears like a long-forgotten lullaby. And it was so caring and so, so warm. I couldn’t help myself and I started to cry. They held me in their arms as my tears tried to tell them what my lips and tongue failed to say.

“I’m sorry. I wish I hadn’t been so stupid. Please. I want to go home now. I want to sleep on my own bed. I want to see those loving smiles again. Please. I’m sorry. I’m sorry.”

They understood.

I realized I was too blinded to see the people who loved me, too blinded to see that they cared all along. I spent a huge part of my life chasing happiness. However, I now know that my happiness was beside me all along. ● Submitted by Paper Crane

You Might Also Like

0 comments: