english,

Literary: Fur Elise

9/19/2012 07:30:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments

It was six in the evening then. I was staring at bare parking lot, bored with my life and almost frantic. Mom’s car hasn’t pulled up yet.

I decided to walk around the campus to calm myself down. I have been sitting on the bench for about an hour and it felt good to stretch my legs and take a walk.

The school was empty. It felt eerie walking alone down the corridors all by myself. The early evening breeze chilled my skin as I roam around.

I passed by the music room to see if someone is still there since I saw the lights were on when I was in the other corridor.

“Excuse me," I said quietly and knocked, half expecting a ghost to answer me.

To my surprise, someone opened the door.


“Yes?” he answered.

“Uhm, nothing. I just wondered who was in the room. Sorry to disturb,” I said.

“No, you weren’t. Would you like to hear me play?” he offered with a smile.

I smiled back and followed him to the piano. It was awkward, for the both of us I guess, having met each other for the first time.

He sat on the piano chair and started to fiddle with the white and black keys.

I stared at him for a few moments and realized that his eyes were sad. It was like he just finished crying before I came in.

He played Fur Elise, one of my favorite pieces. I noticed his hands gracefully tapping the keys.


He pulled me back to reality when he ran his finger through his hair and sighed. “That felt good.” he said.

My phone vibrated on my left pocket. Mom.

“Hey, sorry, I would like to stay for a little longer but my mother is here. I have to leave. Thank you,” I smiled while saying my good byes. He grinned back and waved.

“Tomorrow, I guess?” he asked.

“Tomorrow.”

I left with a smile curved on my face. I didn’t even ask for his name.

The following afternoon, I purposedly stayed after my 5pm class to see if he was going there, too. The clock’s hand formed a straight vertical line which indicated it was time.

The door was open and a sweet tune was coming out of the music room.

“You came back,” he muttered.

“Yeah.”

Without looking back, he opened the piano and started to play. Fur Elise.

“If you want, you can sit beside me.” he offered, after the piece.

I hesitated at first but my feet dragged me to his chair. It felt different, sitting beside him rather than watching him from afar. His presence was warm and relaxing. As his skin brushed mine, I shivered.

“Do you play?” he asked.

I placed my fingers on the keys and answered back,”No.”

He positioned himself beside me with barely three inches apart and gently placed his hands over mine and directed my fingers. We started playing together, him tapping my fingers and me creating music.

The simple notes we created felt like an orchestra, the plain white and black keys before, now translated to colorful tunes.

I felt his face closer to mine and I can hear the constant beat of his heart.

“Tristan,” he suddenly whispered in my ear unexpectedly. His sweet voice chilled my body. It was comforting and lonely at the same time. I wanted to ask why he was like this.

I stopped and removed my hands from the piano.

He touched my hair and stared at me. I caught a glimpse of him, causing me to blush. I sat straight and cleared my throat, disturbing the dreamy silence between us. He drifted his body away from mine and looked away from me.

“Uhh, I- I have to g-go,” I muttered. I stood up without a word but he grabbed my hand.

“Stay, please,” Tristan requested with a sorrowful tone.

“I can’t...”

I can’t because it hurts to see him this way. Fake smiles and forced laughter all hidden in the happy pieces he was playing. He was in grief and I can’t even do a thing. I snatched my hand from his and turned away.

“Please,” he begged.

This forced me to freeze. He sounded like he was agonizing in pain, both physically and emotionally.

The door opened and the guard stood there, bewildered.

“Why are you here? Your mom’s waiting outside. It’s dangerous for a girl to be here alone.”

“Huh?” I answered back.

I walked out of the room, not daring to look back.

That was a year ago. I stand here again, in front of the music room, in awe. Even with the doors closed, I hear the joyful noise he’s playing. Fur Elise once again.

It still soothes and relieves me even after a year. Yet, I can still feel his pain tormenting him. His dark feelings are hidden by the rainbow filled pieces he is playing.

I finally find courage to open the door. It was empty.  by Iridescence

You Might Also Like

0 comments: