grip,

Literary (Submission): Grip

3/17/2015 08:47:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments



I am in love with the way he holds the pen. He clasps it as if it were his life as the numbers, the signs, continually flow from the ink of his pen. His forehead scrunches as he crosses out of his errors and starts over again. In frustration, he picks up his calculator and it almost falls by an inch. He looks sheepishly behind him to see if anyone noticed. He almost saw me.

-----

I am in love with the way she holds her pen. She cradles it inside her palm so carelessly as if this exam was just an exercise. She finishes ten minutes before anybody else does and I can’t help but be pressured but also be entranced by how quick she was. She sleeps for a few minutes and then suddenly raises her head. She almost saw me.

-----

The test has finished, and as I try to ease my way out of the room through the tiny door, I find myself beside him. I try to look up without being obvious, but he catches me anyway. A forced smile makes it onto his face and I return a smile of my own. As soon as I get out of the room, I rush to the rest room and sigh. I look at the mirror and I wonder. I wonder why he left.

-----

The test has finished, and as I try to get out before anyone else does, I just so happen to be beside her. My heart beats fast as I try to avoid her gaze before she notices me, but it is too late. I force a smile onto my face despite all the hurt I am feeling inside. I dash out of the room and soon I am joined by my friends. I smile and laugh with them but my mind is elsewhere. It starts to wander towards the memory of that day, that day that I left her.

-----

He was never one to leave without having the last word. And so on that fateful day he took me on a walk and he explained. He explained and he explained, but the further he tried to clear things, the more confusing it got. He was the same person I knew, but his words were not ones I recognized. He told me he was sorry. He didn’t want to leave, but he knew he needed to. He knew this from the start, and yet here we were after 4 months, staring at each other through the eyes of strangers. He told me that good byes were never the last, that they were only promises of a new hello. But this time I feared hello would never come and this would be the first good bye that wouldn’t last.

-----

She was never one to stay after everything has been said. And so on that treacherous day, I took her on a walk and I told her my story. All the nights I put into practicing my speech had gone down the drain and through the window as I saw her eyes reading my mind before the words even came out of my mouth. I told her so many different reasons, so many different excuses, and to this day, I still do not know understand my farewell. But on that day I saw you through the eyes of a man I did not know. And I guess that made it easier to say good bye, with no promise of hello.

-----

I am in love with the way he holds the pen, but I’d rather he let go.

-----

I am in love with the way she holds the pen, but I’d rather she hold on.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: