english,

Literary (Submission): Expectations, Expectations

2/05/2015 08:07:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments


A little over four years ago, we met for the very first time along the school’s corridor on the way to the cafeteria. Your friend, who was also my classmate, introduced us to each other. I gave you a shy “hi” and a small wave and expected you to do the same (because isn’t that what you’re supposed to do when you meet someone new?).

You did.

Two years and four months after our first encounter, on the first day of that current school year’s second semester, we met again in one of the school’s laboratories since we were in the same co-curricular class. I was the first one in the room which meant all the chairs, except mine, were empty. Despite that and the fact that we’ve only met once, I expected you to claim the seat beside mine (because isn’t that what you’re supposed to do when you see a familiar face in an empty classroom?).

You did.

Four months later, we met again in the dimly lit but extravagantly decorated hall our batch chose as our prom venue. I wasn’t surprised that you were put on the same table as I was in since we grew closer through our co-curricular class and had a number of common friends. After dancing with other people and talking to each other about whatever came into our minds, I expected you to ask me to dance (because isn’t that what you’re supposed to do when all your friends, except one, are dancing and that one friend is sitting on the sidelines with you?).

You did.

A year afterwards, we met again on a stage, amidst a sea of people in white togas and equally white graduation caps. We exchanged friendly pats on the back and overjoyed “congratulations”. When it was time to leave, I turned to you to say goodbye. I expected you to reply with “No, not goodbye but see you soon” (because isn’t that what you’re supposed to tell your friend who hates farewells?) and to tell me that we’d keep in touch (because isn’t that what you’re supposed to say when you and your friend won’t be seeing each other for a while -- at least, not as much as you used to?).

You did.


Two months ago, we met again -- after a long time, our high school field for something like a batch reunion. Despite being surrounded by faces I hadn’t seen in so long, I was only looking for yours. After a while, I finally caught sight of you and a big smile appeared on my face immediately. It faltered, though, when I saw that you were with someone I haven’t seen before. “You’re finally here”, I heard someone exclaim. “I see you brought your special someone”, I heard another tease. My smile disappeared slowly as I was finally understanding the situation – you finally had someone (and that someone wasn’t me). I still wanted to see you and I still planned to talk to you (and I still missed you), so despite the dull ache in my chest I walked towards you but with my head slightly down since I was too shy to approach you (and your special someone). When I was about ten steps away, I looked up and as fate would have it, our eyes met. A small smile was making its way to my lips but I held it in since I expected (and wanted) you to say “hi”, smile, and walk towards me first (because isn’t that what you’re supposed to do when you see your friend, whom you said you’d keep in touch with, even, after a long time?).

You didn’t.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: