english,

Literary: The Day

7/30/2014 07:59:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments

The wind blew. It felt cold on my skin. I inhaled deeply, taking in the moment.

It was considerably dark. A few stars were scattered here and there. The moon was slightly peeking through the clouds. Then, all around were lights from the buildings that seem to populate the entire city.
I stood up from the floor and picked up the jacket I was previously sitting on. I held it out in front of me, checking how dirty it got. Then I realized that it wouldn’t have much to show since it’s black. I chuckled a little and then gently patted the jacket of the little dirt it had obtained. Somewhat satisfied, I put it on.

I looked around observing the place I usually go to whenever I needed time on my own. It’s been five years and the only change that had happened was the fact that it was now filled with even more junk. The floor, once the color of freshly dried cement had developed a darker shade with uneven splotches of who knows what. The door that held the staircase, located slightly off middle to the left, was white when I first got here. It’s still white, but it’s started to chip off at the edges and parts of the paint had faded. There were boxes all around. Haphazardly stacked, one would presume, as a couple of them had already toppled over. Quite messy, I know, but at least it’s peaceful up here. I can hear myself up here.

I walked further to the edge and stood a step away from it, just behind the railing. Even without looking down, I knew that it was busy down there. You could say that the city, or at least this city, never slept. I tilted my head forward to see what was down below. True enough, the streets were still crowded. People were moving through the sidewalks, walking leisurely, crowding around the few stands that were still open. Every now and then, cars would pass, but at this hour, it’s really no surprise, the number.

I pulled my head back and stared out, looking into the distance. I could make out the silhouettes of the mountains from afar, endless as if surrounding the large area completely. I zipped up my jacket halfway, and settled my cold hands into its pockets. I guess I’ve been up here for around three hours already. Maybe I should’ve just left an hour into waiting. Am I still even waiting for anything?

I checked my watch for the nth time, 02:07. Already two hours into the day and I’ve done nothing but look around and maybe think of whatever while up here. Why was I up here at that hour? It was a special day. It was the day.

Then I heard a loud crash coming from below the streets. I looked down again and saw a taxi pressed against the wall, crushed by a ten-wheeler truck. I let out a sigh and shook my head, hoping it would clear my mind. There were too many thoughts then and I needed to focus, so I started to think about the plans I had for the day. It was a Thursday, meaning I had classes. Just a few more months and I would officially be a doctor. At lunch, I would meet up with my brother, who would turn over the ownership of the car to me. Then afternoon classes, and after that…

I was suddenly stirred from unconsciousness when I heard footsteps coming from within the stairwell. I noticed that I was seated with my back against the bars that kept me from falling to my death. Strange, I couldn’t remember how I nodded off. I turned my attention to the door, a couple of feet from where I was seated and waited for someone to exit it. A minute passed and no one stepped out, so I just rested my head back against the railing again and closed my eyes. I probably imagined the sound that took me from my sleep. It was still dark so I opted to continue my nap. I wasn’t able to fall asleep again though. I suddenly felt my chest grow heavy. I brushed it off as exhaustion and urged myself to relax. I reached for the midnight blue bag that I usually brought wherever I went. I set it on my lap and went through it, feeling the inside for the pocket hidden at the bottom. When I finally found it, I brought out the only thing inside – a red velvet box.
I opened the box and gazed at the diamond sitting atop the silver band inside. It cost me quite a lot but I knew it was the perfect one and that it would be worth it, she was beyond worth-it.

Emily. The corners of my mouth lifted subtly. We’ve been together for four years and I’ve wanted to drop down to one knee halfway through it. I was just waiting for a more stable moment and I figured that since I was graduating this year and already got a good-paying job waiting for me, my moment had come. That, and the fact that my mom’s got my back, especially on this one.

I realized that I was smiling a bit excessively at just thinking about it. I tried to tone it down, but my face had other ideas. I closed the box and placed it in the inner pocket of my jacket and tried to relax once again. After my dreamy high passed, I noticed that the heavy feeling in my chest was still there. It made me worry and I didn’t even know why. Before I could think about it further, I felt my phone vibrate, so I immediately pulled it out of my pants’ pocket. Flashed across the screen was “Ma”, so I answered right away.

“Yes Ma?”

I heard rustling noises on the other line and assumed that my mom was running or something.

“Ro, where are you?”

I found that question a little unusual for a conversation starter, but I answered anyway.

“I’m currently on top. Why, is somethi-“

“Don’t you dare jump!” came my mom’s loud voice through the receiver. Then in a much softer tone she added, “I’m picking you up, okay. Stay put. I’ll be there in ten minutes or less.”

And with that the call ended. I was bemused, but with the way she sounded, I guessed that it would be best to just follow. I placed my phone back in my pocket and started toward the door. I descended the stairs to the top floor and waited in front of the elevator. I wondered what was wrong and mulled over it the entire way down. I exited the elevator and walked across the lobby to the entrance. I was taking my time, but you can’t really blame me since I’ve had no sleep and it was barely three in the morning. I slowed to a stop at that thought because my confusion grew. What in the world was my mother doing wide awake at three in the morning?

That brought back my complete consciousness and I hurried outside the building. I found my mom’s car directly parked at the foot of the stairs with the passenger window down.

“What are you waiting for?”

Her voice sounded troubled, so I quickly made my way down the stairs and entered the car. I fastened my seatbelt and turned to face her. She had these calculating eyes, but overall worried expression which urged me to finally voice out my confusion.

“Okay, could you please tell me what’s going on? You’re acting strange and it’s concerning.”

I saw a flash of confusion in her eyes for a split second and I really did not know what to make out of it.

“You don’t know…” it wasn’t a question.

“Obviously…” I muttered under my breath. “What are you doing here at three in the morning…” I noticed what she was wearing – house clothes. “…and barely decent..?”

She turned her attention away from me and started driving. I saw her open her mouth a couple of times, but not a single word left her. I decided against repeating my question and settled in my seat. I kept my eyes on the road, but my mind wasn’t even completely there at the moment. It stayed like that for a few minutes until we entered the premises of a hospital parking lot. The heavy feeling in my chest made itself known again, only this time, much worse. My mom shut the engine and stepped out of the car. I followed.

We made our way to the entrance of the building, and my hand started making its way from staying motionless at my side to reaching inside of my jacket towards the pocket within for the box. I clutched it in my hand and slowly started pulling it out. All these were happening with my mind out of focus. I heard my mom’s voice going on about something, but I couldn’t make out what she was saying. Gradually, her words became clearer and started registering in my head…

“…ound Emily without a pulse..”

…and I almost wished they didn’t.

The box slipped from my grasp falling to the floor. It opened at impact and the ring, freed from its confinement, shattered. / by Mistress Possible

You Might Also Like

0 comments: