literary,

Literary (Submission): Timeless

2/12/2014 07:49:00 PM Media Center 1 Comments

When he asks me when his doctor’s appointment is or when his sister’s birthday celebration is or other “when questions”, I give him the answers he’s looking for: “On Saturday at 10 in the morning.” or “On the 11th of September. Be at your parents’ house at 5 so you won’t be late for the surprise.”

He smiles every time I answer, not only because he’s grateful I save him from being reprimanded for forgetting when something will happen but also because he finds my “talent” of knowing and remembering anything related to time amusing (and he not-so-secretly looks up to me for it).

When I ask him when he’ll visit his parents or when he wants to drop by the bookstore he loves or other “when questions”, he gives me the answers I’m looking for: “When you’re sister comes over to give you company.” or “When you’re favorite drama’s not showing on television. Tomorrow night?”

I smile every time he answers, not only because I am grateful he always seems to take me into consideration but also because despite his replies being in exact dates and uncertain times, he never fails me (and I not-so-secretly appreciate him for it).

-----

We were sitting closely together on the couch I got from my mother, watching my favorite drama on TV, when he asked me a question.

“When did you fall in love with me?”

“I first saw you at what’s-her-name’s party on the 7th of November three years back and I’ve had a crush on you since then,” I replied, keeping my eyes on the television. “We started hanging out two months and five days after but I’m sure I fell in love with you six months and sixteen days later.”

You stared at me with a smile on your lips. “So, May-?”

“No,” I giggled. “July 28, 2012.”

“Oh.”

I smiled. “When did you fall in love with me?”

You took a deep breath. “I can’t answer you how you answered me. I’m not sure if I fell in love with you the same time as you fell in love with me or earlier or much later than that.”

I muted the television and turned to look at you.

You smiled. “But, I’m sure I had a crush on you months before we were introduced to each other. I thought about you way more than I should have right after you said 'hi' to me days after what’s-her-name’s party. I liked you even more weeks after we started hanging out, in between the hours we’d chat and the minutes we’d text. I couldn’t get you off of my mind days before our first date, more so weeks after our first kiss, and even more so years after the day I found out you had a crush on me too.

“And in one of those days occupied by my uncertain timeline, I fell in love with you.”

-----

A few moments of silence passed. “How long do you think you’ll love me?”

“Until I’m a hundred, which is about eighty years from now. How long do you think you’ll love me?”

“To infinity and beyond; forever and ever, babe.”

I smiled when I heard your answer, not only because I found it adorable how you quoted two of your favorite films or how I found your answers to be sweet but also because you never fail me.

So when you said that you’ll love me forever and ever; to infinity and beyond, I believed. / by Mary Jane

You Might Also Like

1 comment: