countdown,

Literary: Countdown

1/09/2014 08:13:00 PM Media Center 1 Comments

I look around and see busy people around the room. Everyone is talking to someone else and enjoying themselves. Everyone is happy except for me. It is New Year’s Eve and I’m at a friend’s party all alone. A big part of me did not want to come. But my friend convinced me to go, anyway.

A part of the reason why I did not want to go was that hazel-eyed boy standing on the opposite side of the room. He was talking to his friends and it seems like he doesn’t have a single problem with me here. Then again, why would he? He was the one who stopped talking to me anyway. In the end, the one who always loses is me.

30 seconds. I lean back on the wall and look down at my shoes. I’m starting to regret my coming here more. The countdown is getting louder and the room is getting more crowded. I glance across the room again and see that he hasn’t moved an inch. There is no chance of us being good again before the year ends.

10 seconds. I push myself off the wall, wanting to get out of the house. I could no longer stay in here. My throat is already hurting and I could feel tears stinging my eyes. I’m about to leave but then I feel a pair of hands push me right back on the wall.

5 seconds. Confusion is taking over me and I feel my heart beat fast. His hands are on my sides and I couldn’t get out even if I tried. “What are you—“ I cry, but he cuts me off with a kiss just as the clock strikes twelve.

He puts away and stares down at me “Happy New Year. I still love you very much,” he says quietly. He gives me a smile he has shown me before and turns around to go.

I’m left standing there, a surprised look plastered on my face.

I’m not going to be alone this year, after all. / by Daisy

You Might Also Like

1 comment: