english,

Literary: For One

1/15/2016 09:22:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments



Hello. How have you been?
Do you remember when we used to watch movies together?

We would stand at the counter, side-by-side,
Arms touching, a silent promise of proximity,
And we'd both be reaching for our pockets.
In the end, you were always the one who paid.
"I'll let you pay next time," you'd always tell me,
But it never came
And every time a new movie comes out,
You'd still be the one who says
"Tickets for two, please."

We always stay for the end credits.
You say you'll be on that screen one day,
Maybe an actor, a director,
A cameraman, anything,
As long as you are there.

I'd always laugh at you
And say, "Okay, I'll watch the movie
So long as I pay!"

You would smile at me
With eyes so melancholic,
I'd forget about the movie.
"Okay," you'd say,
And that's when the lights go on
And I feel like I am leaving a part of us
On the cinema chairs
And taking your heavy heart with me.

Today, we're both at the counter,
I am standing here,
But you are a name on a poster.

It only comes to me now:
I never said, "We'll watch the movie together."

I smile at the cashier,
With the kind of sad smile you used to give me.

"Ticket for one, please."

We both had dreams.
Problem was, you were the essence of mine
but I was never a part of yours.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: