dichotomy,

Literary: The Dichotomy of the Ground and Sky

1/12/2015 07:12:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments



As a child, I used to have a lot of fun playing in the sand. On the beach, on the playground or even a sandbox. Of course every now and then, the sun would get in my eyes and turn me into crying wreck, for a while anyway. In a few minutes, I would be back to playing and laughing once again.

Through the years, sand gradually turned from a source of enjoyment into a minor annoyance, it’s dirty, it’s messy and it gets everywhere. However much you look at it, though, sand is still sand, it is permanent, like the presence of cranky teachers in schools or the one problem in a building that no one fixes – no matter how much everybody complains.

However, the sky is a different story, it is always changing and I am just beginning to appreciate how beautiful it is, be it a blanket of starlight or a glorious sunset.

I have come to see the sky as a symbol of beauty, freedom and hope for a better future. It is the reassurance I need when I am feeling down. Unfortunately, here in the city, the sky cannot be seen with its true beauty, like a veil on the Mona Lisa.

The morning sky is obscured by a thick wall of smoke and the night sky is dimmed. A billion shimmering lights in the sky is dimmed by a billion shimmering inferior lights on the ground, a pity, it seems that the sky, for all its greatness and beauty, cannot be constant in the manner that sand is.

For all the virtues that the sky has, it seems that every once in a while, I am to be reduced to a melancholic child with sand in his eyes.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: