dearMC,

Literary: Writing Letters

11/28/2014 08:35:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments


With the changing times and passing generations
People always ask “Where is the chivalry?”
“Where is the love?”
To them I have one thing to say
Write letters.

When I was six, I wrote my first letter
It was signed ‘from your secret admirer’
Later on I was glad secret admirer remained secret
For he threw it out and laughed when I experienced my first heartbreak

When I was twelve, I wrote to my parents
“I know I haven’t told you this enough, but I love you and I am grateful to you.”
I guess I didn’t include “I’m sorry,” because they’ve already heard it many times before
And I didn’t have the courage to read aloud those two words in public anyway

When I was fourteen, I wrote to all the boys I loved before
Six in total (almost seven, almost)
From the one in white to the one in maroon,
From the one I “loved” when I was five to the one I almost did when I was thirteen

I wrote lots of times when I was fifteen
The first to a boy I would never see again
The second to the boys who would never know my name
And I wrote three apology letters for two wrong things I did
for when I was fifteen, I learned how to break the rules
and soon I realized that rules were there for a reason
and you weren’t supposed to break them

I’m almost sixteen and I realized now
Often we write letters when we want to receive love
We want to receive love, forgiveness, praise, acceptance, trust
But maybe the only person who needs to love, forgive, accept, trust us is ourselves

The chivalry is not lost
The love is not forgotten
My dear it is in us
If we just learned to read between the lines

You Might Also Like

0 comments: