english,

Literary: For Them

9/01/2018 09:21:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments




The crowd screams. I hear my name, thrown in the midst of incoherent sounds and throat-ripping yells. Lights filled the stage as I lift my head up to face them, adrenaline already coursing through my veins. The beat starts.

               Back in the spotlight

               Everyone sees me

               Every single move, every single note

               I’m visible, the eyes are inescapable

               Just a single slip and everyone will be jeering

The melody moves the crowd along, making them sway to the beat of a song they’ve only ever heard in this arena. I can already see the posts fans will be tagging me in on social media, begging me to release a studio version of this song.

               All of them have your back

               Until they strip you bare, dig up your dirt

               But I can’t let them dig my own grave

The beat starts to intensify, filling me with it. My being becomes the music, my heart pounding, emotions pouring out of my mouth from the stress and despair the rumors and netizens’ negativity gave me. I let it all out.

               Not for something I’ve worked for

               Something I went mad for

               Pouring all my passion, skills and sweat

               Till I couldn’t stand when I take a rest

The crowd gets pumped by the rhythm I sang and the bars I spit. They understand me, they understand what I’m telling them, and they’re telling me they’re here for me. I feel the tears well up in my eyes as I remember that I’m doing this for them. The fans who helped me reach my dreams despite countless bumps and stumbles along the way. The ones who picked me up whenever I fell. This is for them.

               These people think they can take it all

                         away from me

               Well not for long ‘cause from this cliff

                         I’ll start my climb back up to the top

My lungs burned from the exhaustion. My body ached from the stockpiled effort because of months of practice that sometimes ended when I couldn’t move my body anymore. But I keep myself fired up. For them, and for me.

               It doesn’t matter who you are

               Or why you try to bring me down

               As long as there are people who wait for me

               As long as there are people who sing my songs

               I won’t ever stop belting out these lyrics from my heart

The crowd roars. I breathe heavily and try to hold my tears. I leave the stage. I hope my passion reached them.

Just a few days later, fans would be posting clips of the performance on social media. The lyrics would be shared, passed on from one account to another. Fans would determine the meaning, understand, and their cries and arguments to defend me will help people see me in a better light. I would cry, and write a song for them once more.


You Might Also Like

0 comments: