asphalt,

Literary (Submission): Dear You

4/28/2018 10:07:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments





Dear you,

I am writing to apologize for not answering your question that night.

I thought you'd be the one who'd have a loss for words when I asked you for your reply but you startled me when you asked me how I began to feel this way towards you.

Also, I am sorry I couldn't keep those words from escaping my lips,
But didn't they say that the greatest adventure you can have comes after baring your heart open?

So to answer your question:

Haven't you noticed the effervescent blush that paints my cheeks every time you weave your hands through your hair and leave it tousled in that entirely deliberate manner?

Didn't you know that I find it endearing when you try too hard to show your 'youthful carelessness' to others so they don’t ask you too many questions?

It’s quite funny how your careful portrayal of insouciance ends up getting more people to flock around you instead.

Do you remember when we whispered about everything in quiet spaces?

Each time a disapproving glance was sent our way, we would look at each other and dissolve into giggles.

I even remember how your eyes lit up when you spoke about how much you loved your music and how it saved you. We even shared songs and watched recordings of our favorite concerts together.

It may be nothing to you, but I felt like you were sharing your deepest secrets to me, as if I was peering in and listening to your very soul.

I also appreciate when your gaze slants over to me and you give me an encouraging nod,
when you unconsciously lend me your only umbrella whenever I have to step into the rain,
and the times when the sense of comfort you bring embraces my whole being.

I've also memorized deep in my heart every word we exchanged when I was anxious about the future; when I was spouting on and on about the uncertainties and what-ifs, and you sat down beside me and talked me down.

In that moment, I felt like I was more than lucky to be given the chance to know you.

I can search all my fondest memories with you to try and describe what I see in you.

I can liken you to happy songs or to the way the sunlight streams into my bedroom window, tinting the walls with hopeful streaks of the brightest colors, or even to the wafting of the smell of cinnamon from my favorite café.

I can go on and on about how my heart feels pleasantly light when I think of you.

Yet I can't fully comprehend what really drew me to you.
Somehow, it feels as if all of these are too small to be considered reasons as to why I feel this way.
But at the same time, these small things are more than enough to justify my admiration for you.

Then again, I can't fit the whole essence of your being into mere words.
So instead, I'll say that I like you for being you
For personifying the stars, everything beyond
and everything that remains,
and for just being much, much more.


I hope I answered your question so if you could, please respond to mine.

Thank you.


P.S.

When I caught you averting your eyes and burying your flustered hands into your pockets,
and the slightest crinkle formed by your eyes after I muttered the words:

I quite like you.

I knew I fell a little harder for you.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: