dawson,

Literary: Super Moon

2/21/2018 08:08:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments





We were together on the roof of my house, we watched the moon together.

            “It’s moving,” I said. “No, we’re moving,” you corrected. “I meant that in a poetic sense,” I replied. “Ohh… well, I guess it is,” you responded. You sounded sad and I don’t think it’s because you misinterpreted me again.

            I realized the moon is moving though or I guess, we were.

            “What’s wrong?” I asked you. “What do you mean?” You still sounded sad. “You seem, uhh, off,” I said.  “It’s just that, I don’t know. I can see the moon moving,” you replied. “And?”

I didn’t understand. Was I being dense? Was I being stupid?

            “And I just realized nothing’s permanent,” you sounded so heartbroken. I didn’t know what to say.  Then you went on. “I’m just scared, I mean how long can we last? Aren’t you scared? Do you think we’re strong enough for this? What if everything goes wrong? What if we fall apart? What if I hurt you? What if —”

“Baby,” I had to interrupt you, you were overthinking again. “Baby, listen, everything’s temporary okay? You know that right?” I heard your little ‘mhm’ as a response. “And I guess so are we.” I heard you sniffling. I didn’t dare look because I might start crying.

            I went on, “But isn’t the moon so beautiful? Aren’t sunsets beautiful?” You managed to utter a muffled ‘yeah.’ “They don’t last that long but they’re the most beautiful things I see every day. Even if we can’t last the longest, I promise, we’ll love the realest. We’ll be the most beautiful sunset, moonshine, or pizza slice ever, okay?”

“Yeah, okay,” you replied weakly. “We’ll try our best and if it doesn’t work, I guess it wasn’t meant to be,” I said cautiously.

            There was silence, and stars, and cool midnight breeze.

            “But I love you,” you said after a while. “And I love you too and that’s what’s important, okay. I love you, so much,” I replied. “I want to hug you right now,” you said. “Yeah, me too. Just hug your pillow and think of me. You should go to sleep now, it’s already 3 am there,” I said.  “I know right. Let’s vid call again tomorrow, okay?”  “Of course!” I flashed you a smile of reassurance. You tried to smile back but your eyes were reddish and puffy.

            “Good night, baby. Sweet dreams. I love you,” I recited our nightly goodbyes like always. “Good night. Sweet dreams. I love you. See you tomorrow, ” you said. “Yup, see ya’! Byeeeeeee!!!”

         We ended the call. I felt this longing empty feeling but with a tinge of contentment. I was happy and sad and it was good. We were good.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: