after8,

Literary (Submission): Chasing Echoes

2/21/2018 08:53:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments





A year ago. On this very day….

It felt as if our fates finally intertwined
As you asked me a question that resounded in both my heart and mind
Only to be followed by a deafening silence
As I replied with a pitiful lie in that very instance

“I like you as a friend.”

Not a day goes by that I don’t regret those things I’ve said
As the desire of my heart gave in to the loud voices inside my head
Frightened by the possibility that things would fall apart,
I shattered this dream of an “us” before it could even start

But now, it’s that time of the year again….

As I head back once more to the place where we once talked
I found myself daydreaming, lost in my thoughts
Reminiscing the words that were once spoken,
I recall how you asked me with such honest eyes:

“Do you love me?”

But these words now seem to be nothing but a distant echo
Just a lost fragment of a fleeting memory so long ago
And yet I cannot help but utter a single sigh
As I whisper to the wind an earnest reply:

“I still do.”

You Might Also Like

0 comments: