english,

Literary: Elixir

11/29/2017 07:47:00 PM Media Center 1 Comments




The Wish in a Bottle

Have you ever wanted to fix a problem but couldn’t? Have you ever wanted life to be easy?
Have you ever wanted a wish to come true?

I once had a wish, a wish in a bottle.

All it took to grant a wish is a little sip. Any wish—from high grades, to class suspensions. Even getting my crush to like me.

All I had to do was take a sip.

But I never did.


The Wishes

My friends and I received one Elixir each. One day, we just found it on our tables with a note. No name was written, only instructions.

It said, “Think of a wish, then drink with care.”

Of course all of us were skeptical, we didn’t believe it. We thought that the bottle was shady, and dangerous. But over time, my friends got more and more desperate. And they finally took the sip.

My first friend was an athlete. This year was his last season competing. He wanted to at least get a medal. So he drank it.
He crushed the competition and set several new league records.

My other friend was just a normal student. He simply wanted to get high grades for the sake of pleasing his parents. He consumed the Elixir, to make them proud.
He got near perfect scores in all his tests and made it to the top 10.

My last friend wanted to become a popular person so that his crush would notice him and fall for him.
He tried the Elixir because it worked for our other friends.
It worked for him, too. Now, maybe even his dreams would come true.

But all those good things came with a price.


The Consequences

After the competition, in exchange for his success, the athlete broke his leg while running
He went to the doctor to have it checked.
A week later he learned that he would never run again.

My second friend made his parents really happy.
But suddenly he was called to the principal’s office
He was accused of cheating, copying from one of his classmates
Days later, he was suspended from school.

In exchange for popularity, our last friend’s arrogance grew.
He thought he was better than everyone
And because of this, all of his true friends left him.
The ones who remained are those who don’t care about him.

Just one sip and their lives became a great success,
Just one drink and all their dreams are fulfilled.

Without knowing, they paid the price for their wish.
They lost the things that were most important to them.

I wanted to bring back the old days
When we were all just having fun
Just trying to work hard for our dreams

Now that everything’s broken, I have but one wish
Please, bring us back together like the old times

So I finally took a sip.

You Might Also Like

1 comment: