english,

Literary: The Perfect Guy

9/08/2017 08:36:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments




Tom and I met in high school. We even dated for a while. We only broke up because he moved to a different country to study and we lost contact. Tom was the perfect guy. He had a booming business and was very good looking. To add to that, he had already traveled the world. He was a gentleman, and he made sure everything was perfect, just like he was.

On the night before he left for Rome, Tom asked me out to dinner. With him, dinner dates weren’t your average “eat then watch a movie afterwards”. He made reservations at a five-star restaurant with a dress code and a fountain in front of the entrance. Once the candles were lit and dinner was served, we started talking.

“Amy, have you ever been to Rome?” he asked me as he was cutting his steak.

“No, but I’d love to see the ruins there someday.”

“How badly do you want to see them?”

“So bad. It’s my childhood dream.” It was. I dreamed of being able to explore the site and just stand where history happened.

“Come with me, then,” he offered. At first I wasn’t sure if he was serious, but this is Tom. He’s always serious when it comes to these things.

“T-tomorrow?”

“Yes. Imagine that, conquering the city together. Just you and me.” He smiled at me with the smile he always used to persuade me with. It was about to work until…

“Tom, I don’t think I can come with you. I’d love to go to Rome but I don’t think I should go with you.”

As soon as he heard my words, he asked for the bill and paid. He nodded once, got his credit card, and left without a word.

A lot of people may be thinking why I just rejected a trip to the most beautiful city with the perfect guy. The truth is, Tom just wants someone on his arm for publicity, so people won’t think he’s the single CEO that’s too busy with work for a relationship.

I know him.

Besides, I don’t like perfect that much. I think it’s too perfect.
-----------------------------------------

Caleb is my neighbor. He’s a struggling musician. He’d make noise until early in the morning and he had a crooked smile. He was a mess but he didn’t mind. He had his own little world.

Once you get past Caleb’s outer shell, he’s the kindest, most caring person in the world. With him, I feel like I can be myself. I don’t need to dress pretty just in case paparazzi get too close, and I’m really more into music than business.

The same night Tom and I had dinner, Caleb waited for me at my front door and had a guitar in his hands.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"I'm going to sing you a song, Amy." Answered Caleb with that same crooked smile. I chuckled and looked at my toes to hide the redness in my cheeks. He took that as a go signal and started strumming Jack Johnson's Banana Pancakes. He knew it was my favourite song because I'd always hum it on my way out.

Well can't you see that I'm just waiting.
Ain't no need to go inside...yet

But, baby, you hardly even notice
When I try to show you this
Song is meant to keep you
From doing what you're supposed to.
Walking through the front door
Maybe we can go out
Popcorn and a movie
Pretend we're a thing now

And we could pretend it all the time
Can't you hear me out just once?
There ain't no need to go inside.

He continued strumming as he stuttered with trying to get the right words out. "A-amy, if it's not obvious I'd really really want to take you out on a date. I know that I'm not the most likeable person at first impression but I think that you're really beautiful and I really like you."

As Caleb ended on a G chord, he grinned at me and asked "so, what do you say?"

I take a few steps closer to him. No one has ever asked me out that way and the fact that it came from Caleb gave me butterflies in my stomach. "I say yes."

When he hears my response, I can see the victory in his eyes. "Great! Tomorrow night?"

"Sure. 7PM."

"I'll see you then!!" With that, he walks to the opposite side of the building, a fist in the air as a sign of triumph. What a cutie.

I choose Caleb. He’s not perfect, not at all, but I love him anyway.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: