english,

Literary: Three Years, Three Words

8/30/2013 08:53:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments


For almost three years I’ve been going back to a single memory, one that I could never reminisce with anyone about. Except with you.

That point in time was perfect, like a scene from a movie. At the center of a darkened field surrounded by looming trees with laughing students hiding behind the trunks, our silhouettes were facing each other. You asked me what it was that I wanted to say but the tone of your voice hinted that you already knew.  With my heart pounding in my ear, I told you three words.

Afterwards, I ran to my best friend and cried. I don’t think you noticed.

I carried on after that with you being the only structure I had at the moment. But even that you broke down as you left. It was foolish of me to think that saying I love you would make you stay. Those words are heavy but never heavy enough to keep anyone from leaving.

It didn’t seem like you felt anything close to love towards me considering you left for someone else. It didn’t take you a long time to act like it never happened. For three years, you’ve been avoiding me. Trying not to ask anything from me as much as possible, not even looking me in the eye when you talk to me. It was pathetic of you. Or was that your way of being guilty?

What were you supposed to be guilty of anyway? We were both just lying to each other, weren’t we?

It was fun while it lasted, whatever it was that we were three years ago, but all I really want is to be at peace. All I really want is to believe it never happened too.

So I’m letting it go.

I loved the kind things you told me to cheer me up. I loved the silence that hugs us when we’re out of things to say. I loved the plans you made for us that we never got to do. But what I never really loved was you. / by Morpheus


You Might Also Like

0 comments: